Parents anxious as bus standoff continues

Thousands of parents in the London area are biting their nails as they wait to hear what is to come of a continuing standoff between the regional busing authority and area bus operators who want more money.

Thousands of parents in the London area are biting their nails as they wait to hear what is to come of a continuing standoff between the regional busing authority and area bus operators who want more money - writes

Fifty-thousand area kids and their parents relying on school bus transportation may need to find another way to get to school come Sept. 4 if an agreement isn’t reached between the transportation consortium representing the Thames Valley District and London District Catholic school boards and the Southwestern Ontario School Bus Operators — a group of seven bus companies.

Last week, negotiations between the two groups broke down but talks are slated to resume this week.


(Getty Images)

A joint e-mail statement from the bus operators that was sent to the Free Press said they are not insisting on a contract before September.

“All we’re asking for is a fair process that ensures all sides stay in negotiations until a contract is reached,” the statement said. “We are meeting with the school boards this week and hope they will agree to move forward with us.”

The statement said operators and drivers want to get back to safely driving kids to school every day.

View this document on Scribd

Erma Schadenberg has four kids who all rely on the school bus. Two of them attend Louise Arbour French immersion elementary school while the other two attend Sir Frederick Banting secondary school. Schadenberg said the two schools are about 10 kilometres apart and the school day starts at both at the same time, making it difficult to drop all of them off.

“It’s not impossible, but it requires both my husband and I to make a trip each with one set of the kids,” Schadenberg said. “If it was a single parent or a single vehicle home, it would be impossible, one would have to be early or late and those that have no vehicle would have to rely on the city bus.”

And while Schadenberg said her high school kids are able to take the city bus, they would need to wake up earlier since the ride to school would be about an hour long. She said they would be catching the bus around the time they normally wake up.

Schadenburg and her husband both work from home and start around 9 a.m., she said, but she said for parents who have to go to work, getting their kids to and from school could mean being late or leaving early.

Doug Reycraft, a former member of provincial parliament and the former warden of Middlesex County said the bus issue will affect people living in rural areas as well, since they don’t even have city buses on which to rely.

“It’s going to be a major inconvenience if they aren’t able to come to an agreement before Labour Day,” Reycraft said. “(Otherwise) there’s definitely going to have to be some scrambling on the part of families with students.”

Reycraft said this issue is compounded in areas where schools have been consolidated and students who would have attended a school that has been closed have a greater distance to travel. He said some students travel 30 to 40 minutes by bus to get to school.

“But rural communities are pretty resourceful,” Reycraft said. “I’m sure they’ll be contacting friends or relatives who can provide the transportation.”
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
3 views in june
I recommend
No recommendations yet


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

An EE customer has said she was stalked by an ex-partner who worked at the firm, after he accessed her personal data without permission. Francesca Bonafede's number was switched to a new handset and her address and bank details were accessed. She said the company failed to take the data breach seriously and she had to involve police. EE "sincerely apologised" to Ms Bonafede, and said the employee no longer worked for the company. 'They didn't seem concerne...
West Ham say they have handed over all of their evidence to the police after completing a "thorough and immediate" investigation into racist abuse shouted at Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. The incident happened during Monday's 1-1 draw at London Stadium. Egypt striker Salah, 26, was filmed on a mobile phone from a section of home supporters as he was taking a corner. "The club is unequivocal in its stance - such abuse will not be tolerated," West Ham said in a...
A body seen in the wreckage of the plane carrying Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson has been recovered, investigators said. Remotely operated Vehicles (ROVs) were used in ‘challenging conditions’ to pull the body out of the water ‘in as dignified a way as possible’ the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said on Wednesday night. The body is being taken to Portland to be passed over to the Dorset coroner for examination, t...
The US president, who has repeatedly criticised the military alliance, would meet with heads of state in London, Nato secretary general Jens Stoltenberg announced on Wednesday. It would be Mr Trump's second visit to Britain since his election, having jetted in amid swathes of protest last July. I am pleased to announce that allies have agreed that the next meeting of Nato heads of state and government will take place in London in December 2019. The meeting...
Rolf Harris was jailed for five years and nine months in 2014 but released on licence in May 2017 Credit: PA Officials are investigating a report that disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris walked onto the grounds of a primary school and waved at pupils. The convicted sex offender went onto the premises of Oldfield Primary School near his home in Bray, Maidenhead, to talk to a sculptor working in the grounds, the Daily Mirror reported. Harris, who was jailed fo...
Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a teenager was stabbed to death. Police and London Ambulance Service were called to Wolsey Court, off Westbridge Road in Battersea, at 7.52pm on Tuesday following reports of a stabbing. A 19-year-old man was found with stab injuries and died at the scene at 8.36pm despite paramedics battling to save his life. The stabbing took place less than half a mile from Prince George's primary school, Thomas's B...
The girl, who has been named Roman by nurses, was found at around 10pm on Thursday in the park in Roman Road in East Ham.  Police said Roman was wrapped in a white towel and placed in the shopping bag on the ground next to a bench in the small children's play park.  The baby was rushed to hospital where she was in a stable condition on Friday morning, the Metropolitan Police said.  Roman was discovered by grandmother-of-one Rima Zvaliauskiene, 50, just 100...
The operation to recover the doomed plane carrying Emiliano Sala off Guernsey could be hampered by days of poor weather as the man brought in by the footballer's family to find him said he could be in the wreckage. The English Channel is being battered by torrential ran, 40mph winds and 10ft waves with the poor conditions set to continue - and worsen - until the end of the week, MailOnline can reveal today. The families of the £15million striker and his pi...
Train passengers are being warned of major disruption after overhead electric wires were damaged near one of London’s busiest stations. Network Rail said services travelling to and from Liverpool Street could be cancelled or revised until 8am on Thursday. Wires between Liverpool Street and Bethnal Green, east London, were damaged, with the outage impacting Greater Anglia, London Overground, Stansted Express and Transport for London Rail services. Passenger...