West Yorkshire Police has released details on reported sexual offences at the popular music festival.
Sex offences at Leeds Festival hit four year high in 2017
The number of sexual offences committed at Leeds Festival hit a four-year high in 2017, according to new police figures.
Figures released by West Yorkshire Police following a Freedom on Information request show there were a total of 19 sexual offences at the popular music festival between 2014 and 2017.
There was one reported sexual offence in 2016, when a woman was allegedly raped, but in the following year nine allegations of sexual offences were made.
In that year police were told that one woman had been raped, seven women had been sexually assaulted and someone had indecently exposed themself.
Four of those reported sexual assaults resulted in criminal charges, while the other three are still being investigated. But officers were unable to identify any suspects during investigations into the allegations of rape and indecent exposure.
A police spokeswoman said: "West Yorkshire Police work closely with the event organisers Festival Republic who provide security on site.
“In the run up to and during the event, there is a dedicated Leeds Festival page on the West Yorkshire Police website and a Leeds Festival Police Twitter account which both provide useful advice for festival-goers on protecting themselves and their property.
Reported sex assaults at Leeds Festival
- Two woman were allegedly raped at the music festival, but no one has been prosecuted as no suspect could be identified.
- Another allegation of rape was made and police say the investigation is "ongoing".
- Police say there was also a report of an "assault of a female 13 and over by penetration with part of body or a thing". No one has been prosecuted though, as no suspect could be identified.
- A woman was sexually assaulted and police arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the offence.
- Three more allegations of rape were made, but police were unable to identify any suspects so the investigations have been closed.
- A woman was allegedly raped but police were unable to identify any suspects.
- Four people are arrested and charged in connection with four separate incidents of alleged sexual assault.
- There more alleged sexual assaults are reported and police say investigations into those allegations are "ongoing".
- Police are also informed about an allegation of rape and an allegation of indecent exposure. However, no suspects could be identified and the investigations are now over.