Mother and daughter suffer suspected carbon monoxide poisoning when thug sprayed foam in car exhaust

Jennifer Storey and 18-month-old Lily were exposed to the deadly gas as they drove to playgroup.

A mother and her 18-month-old daughter were hospitalised with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after a thug sprayed foam in their car exhaust.

Jennifer Storey and little Lily were exposed to the deadly gas as they drove to playgroup after yobs blocked the pipe with expandable foam.

Jennifer Storey was horrified to think her and daughter Lily could have breathed in deadly carbon monoxide.

After dropping her daughter at nursery Jennifer noticed expandable foam coming from the exhaust of her car

It was only after Jennifer of Gosforth, Newcastle, dropped the youngster off that she noticed the foam sticking out of the rear of her Nissan Micra.

She said: “We were running late and I heard a strange noise, but I thought nothing of it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it didn’t seem anything dangerous.

“Once I got out there, I spotted the exhaust was completely blocked. I was absolutely shocked, I just started crying.”

Both Jennifer and Lily were rushed to hospital for tests after concerned AA engineers dialled 999, fearing they had breathed in deadly carbon monoxide, which has no taste or smell.

Jennifer, 28, said: “At the hospital, they took blood from us within minutes and checked our oxygen levels, our eyes and mouths.

“They were so good with us, they had our results within minutes.

“My daughter was crying her eyes out, we’re very lucky – it could have been a lot more serious.”

Luckily the pair were given the all clear, with the mum-of-one hoping the incident was a dangerous prank rather than a targeted attack.

She added: “I’m scared it’s going to happen again. I don’t know if someone has targeted me, or if it is safe to park outside my house.

“Who carries expandable foam around with them? It’s not something you have in your pocket.

“I hope it is someone who thought it was a funny prank, it takes it to another level otherwise. For them to target a family car is sickening.”

Northumbria Police is investigating the isolated incident, believed to have happened between 4pm on May 1 and 1pm on May 2.

Neighbourhood inspector Julie Rana said: “This is a really stupid and irresponsible thing to do that will cause significant amounts of damage to vehicles.

“People may think doing this kind of thing is funny but those responsible are committing a criminal offence and we will take firm action against anyone found to be involved.”

If you have any information, please contact police on 101, quoting reference 49600e/17

the Sun
carbonmonoxidepoisoning motheranddaughter
If you notice an error, highlight the text you want and press Ctrl + Enter to report it to the editor
6 views in february
No recommendations yet
Log in ,
to rate and recommend


Post your comment to communicate and discuss this article.

No results found.